Travel Guide – Assam, India
Spread over an expansive area of 452 square kilometers Kaziranga National Park – a renowned wildlife park is located along the banks of the Brahmaputra River Assam, India. This well laid down travel guide will help you plan Kaziranga tour before you go there. It breaks down everything such as what to do in and around the park, stay options and much more.
Apart from holding the status of national park, KNP is also a Tiger Reserve and UNESCO declared World Heritage Site. The wildlife destination is well known for healthy population of one horned rhino and other animals that can be spotted include Asian Elephants, Deer, Royal Bengal Tiger, Water Buffalo and more.
The area around the national park is bestowed with lot of tourist’s attractions and accommodation options as well as food options for tourists. Please go through this guide.
When is the best time to visit Kaziranga national park ?
Before you plan wildlife tour to Kaziranga, take note that the park is not accessible during monsoon season from June to August. During this season park get flooded by the water of Brahmaputra River. The season to visit Kaziranga National Park is November to April when the day is pleasant. The nights during these months may be little bit cool. The park can also be explored from April to June but you may experience hotter climate. Morning safari is only feasible option.
What to pack and wear clothes ?
You are required to dress up accordingly because Kaziranga experiences tropical climate for most of the year. We suggest you to wear layers especially during your early morning game drive if you visit during the winter or spring months. Light color t-shirts and shorts are preferred. We advise you to bring hat to protect your face and eyes from sun. Please carry sunburn cream if you are if you are prone to sunburn. And finally we suggest you to wear insect repellent. Mosquitoes and other flying biting insects are in plentiful in Kaziranga and they may spoil your game drive time. So do everything to keep they away from you.
Where to Stay at Kaziranga National Park ?
In the past couple of years Hospitality business has flourished quite well considering that the place is World Heritage Site. You can pre-book lodging of every kind here. You have options from luxury resorts to budget resorts and even dormitories. You can also search the Hotels in Kaziranga and instead go for a local guest house at Kohora or a nearby village.
Travel Tips for Going on Safari in Kaziranga National Park
- Two safari options is available there- Jeep and Elephant safari. Elephant safari is the most preferred choice to capture the close sight of the flora and fauna.
- If you are touring during winter season then prefer taking second shift of the elephant safari because first shift is conducted very early in the morning and wildlife species may not come out before sun comes.
- If you are going in the eastern range of the park you must boat safari too.
- Avoid visiting Kaziranga National Park during monsoon season, park get flooded.
- The park remains open for safari in between 05:30 AM to 04:00 PM only. Elephants safari starts at 05:30 AM while Jeep safari begins at 07:30 AM.
- You should report half an hour before at the safari point.
- While enjoying safari you must follow the instructions given by Mahout and Jeep safari guide accompanying you.
- Do not ask jeep driver or Mahout to take jeep or elephant very close to the wild animals or alter the designated safari routes.